Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 6 of 60: The first Sunday

I love lazy Sundays, when there is nothing more to do than relax. Too bad that is never the way it works out. I guess some cleaning, laundry, food shopping and a trip to the Farmers Market is mild compared to work work, but it would have been nice to just chill in the house. All and all it was nice keeping busy.

We went to the Farmers Market on Rt 17 in East Rutherford. It was a zoo. I paid about $43 dollars for a cart of produce and have enough for the whole week or more - and I juice a lot of stuff. I would have paid triple at Stop & Shop or even more if I went to Whole Foods and did organic, like I did for a few items last week, which was totally expensive, small, and out of my way. So what is a girl to do when organic is not in her budget? Buy cheap, try to stay with stuff grown in the US, and wash, wash, wash. I took on the task of disinfecting all the produce as it came into the house. Really. It is important to make sure everything, even the peels on the citrus, is clean. You never know what touches the fruits and veggies you eat.

This issue is complicated when you think of how stuff comes into the country. I am not an expert on the what kinds of pesticides and fertilizer or *shudder* genetic altercations are in play in the stuff we import off season, but I hazard to think the FDA may not know the ins and outs of the stuff we get for good prices. I do not know what parisites or bacteria (since I am eating raw juice) may be on the produce, nor what may have been on the person's hands who picked, packed, shipped, or stocked the stuff I buy. Heat may kill some, but think of this - even when you cut a melon, your knife and your hands are touching the rind that came off the ground (full of manure) and made its way to the store where it was touched, thumped, and shaken for freshness by who knows how many hands. It is enough to want to stick to packaged goods (save for the frightening amounts of nasty stuff in processed foods).

I first bleached my sink and cleaned it really OCD well, then filled my (for lack of a better description) 1 and 1/2 kitchen sink with with cold water + vinegar + baking soda in the big part and the smaller side with plain cold water. I then dumped bag after bag of produce in the sink and let it soak for 10 minutes, then scrubbed each piece and put it in fresh water. It was a long task, and I changed the acid bath water 3 times or more and the clean water after every type of produce item (i.e., after the apples, after the carrots, etc) because it was really that nasty. I shudder to think of all the times I ate apples without washing them, especially when a sink full of apples and pears was tinted brown with little floaty bits of god knows what in it. *Ew*

Ok, so I spent like 2 hours or more washing veggies and fruit for the week. It was worth it. I removed those annoying labels and made sure the drawers in the fridge were sanitized. Then put everything dry into the fridge minus the bags. Now I have everything ready to make quick juice in the morning before work. I hope the time I spent, and care I spent, keeps me from getting sick or having to get up way too early.

Hunger pains are almost gone. When I get a rumble, I drink and it goes away. This morning, apple with a half of a lemon. For lunch, zucchini and carrot which was alright as far as veggie juice goes. Dinner came out of The Juicing Bible: Tomato, Red Pepper, Radish, Beet, Cayenne Pepper. I added some garlic just for kick. It was really good, and will be lunch tomorrow as I made too much. Tomatoes juice better when they are ripe and cold it seems, because I got a ton of juice. I am drinking less these past few days. I am not finishing every bit i make because I don't need to I guess. My body says it has enough and that is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Career: Be a tree - grow in place

In an age when research says millennials change jobs 4 times before age 32 an d job sites advise switching companies to advance in your ...